Friday, February 16, 2007

Eggs... White? Brown?

Eggs... White? Brown?
I have been busy baking for the past 3 days in preparations for the coming Chinese New Year, which explains my absence from posting any new bake journal entry. Whilst I was baking, I had this sudden inspiration to do a bake journal entry on Eggs (something that I use all the time - be it for cakes, breads, cookies, pastries, etc...).

The eggs that I use for baking are the brown ones. However, if you watch those food programmes that is produced in America, England and even Australia, you cannot help but noticed that the eggs the chef / baker uses are white. Well, in our supermarkets here in Singapore, there are white eggs available and they are comparatively more expensive than the brown ones. So, as a food technologist, I decided to do some research on these two eggs. Haha! Guess what. They may be different on the outside, but are the same on the inside (as shown in the picture above).

Here is a basic explaination on the where the colour (or a more scientific term: pigmentation) of the eggs come from. Brown chicken eggs comes from brown chickens. White chicken eggs comes from white chicken. Then there is this very interesting question that you may ask me... so black chicken produces black chicken eggs? Haha. NO! From my knowledge, black chicken produces white eggs. Don't ask me why...