Since, previously I have shared with you all a bread recipe, I have decided to share a friand recipe this time round. What is a friand? Friands (French for "Little Cakes") are traditionally made mainly with nut-meal, usually Almond, melted butter and only a small measure of flour. In addition, friands usually use egg whites, which is low in cholesterol. You may think what a waste! How about the egg yolks? No fret, the 3 egg yolks that you have left, keep them in air tight containers in the fridge. I promise to post a recipe that will use 3 egg yolks soon. Or else, one can always make french toast with them for breakfast!
Lastly, thanks to Linda for constantly helping me to blog about my events or new baked products created by me. Check her latest blog entry where she blogged about Mr Bean's Soy Ice Cream, in line with my XO Kaya Soya Flower Buns. (By the way, I am also a fan of Mr Bean's Soy Ice Cream!). Talking about ice cream, YES! Ice Cream uses egg yolks!!!! But you will have to look out for my future entries...
Here is the recipe... It is so easy! so healthy!
90 g Butter
50 g Icing Sugar
A drop Pandan Essence
120 g (3 Nos) Egg whites
40 g Plain Flour, sieved
70 g Almond, grounded
6 rounded tsp "XO Kaya" (Fong Yit Brand)
30 g Almond, flaked
Method: Makes 6 friands
1. Preheat oven to 180C. Grease 6 muffin pans.
2. Cream butter, icing sugar and pandan essence till light & fluffy.
3. Whisk egg white till thick and foamy.
4. Combine creamed butter and whisked egg white.
5. Fold in sieved flour & grounded almond, stir until just combined.
6. Divide half the mixture among prepared pans, fill with 1 tsp of chilled "XO Kaya" filling and divide the other half of the mixture into the prepared pans and topped with flaked almonds.
7. Bake at 180C for 25 to 30 minutes.
8. Serve with a little extra sifted icing sugar.
Recipe By Samuel Chan