Tuesday, February 06, 2007

All About Carrots

All About Carrots

Left: Carrot Cake, Right: Carrot Piccosams

β-carotene, a dimer of Vitamin A, is abundant in carrots and gives this vegetable its characteristic orange color. Furthermore, carrots are rich in dietary fiber, antioxidants, and minerals. Thanks to wikipedia for the above information.

So much for the nutritional aspects of carrots. Cakes are usually perceived as unhealthy, high in sugars, fats and full of calories and absolutely a "No No" for weight watchers. However, there are ways to make healthier cakes such as incorporating vegetables such as carrots.

Wait a minute, you must be thinking after scanning through the two pictures above...... 1. Carrot Cake? How come it is so different from those I get from the hawker centre. 2. What is so special about Carrot Piccosams? Looks like a cupcake / muffin.

The first picture shows a Carrot Cake. Not your local carrot cake available at your nearby hawker centre, fried to perfection, usually with loads of eggs, chilli and dark sweet sauce. This is what I would call the "Ang Moh" version of our "Chai Tow Kueh". But I must say, to some it requires an acquired taste to be able appreciate this carrot cake. It does not have that soft and spongy mouthfeel of your usual cake. On the contrary, it is heavy, densely packed with carrots, with roasted chopped walnuts and juicy raisins in every bite, topped with a cream cheese topping with the acceptable sweetness level.

The second picture...... NO it is not a cupcake or a muffin. It is PICCOSAMS. Piccosams is a range of small cakes that I have created for my family and friends. They are usually great for family and friends gatherings or parties. The Carrot Piccosam will be the first of many to be featured in this bake journal (I will update as I create the subsequent piccosams). The Carrot Piccosam taste profile is totally different from the Carrot Cake. It is light, soft and spongy. Whenever I bake them for my friends and relatives, they would not hestitate to finish one by themselves...... Only to discover that it is all gone when they want to go for a second helping.

As a baker, I am constantly in search of continuously creating and formulating healthier baked products. If you have any burning questions on certain food ingredients or recipe, feel free to drop me an email and I will be more than happy to answer you. Do note that your questions may be posted on this bake journal to benefit those who shares the same passion as me.